Men and women alike want firm stomachs, which is why many choose exercise, including sit-ups, to achieve perfect abdominal muscles.
But despite a healthy diet and regular exercise, not everyone manages to get the desired results, as it can be difficult to get rid of abdominal fat. As for loose skin caused by significant weight loss, aging or pregnancy, only abdominoplasty can correct it. This surgery eliminates not only the fat, but the surplus skin as well.
Two types of interventions exist: complete abdominoplasty and partial abdominoplasty.
- The goal of the former is to remove fat deposits both above and below the navel, excise loose skin and bring together stomach muscles that separated during pregnancy. The skin is tightened, as well as the muscles, to reshape the abdomen.
- The goal of a partial abdominoplasty is to remove fat deposits and surplus skin below the navel for people whose abdominals are firm.
“Note: These photos are published for information purposes only in order to provide information on the nature of the intervention. In no way should they be considered a guarantee of results.”
A complete abdominoplasty takes approximately 2 hours and is performed under general anaesthesia. A 30- to 40-cm incision is made in the lower stomach area, from one hip to the other. The tissues and muscles are tightened and the navel is repositioned.
Most partial abdominoplasties take 60 minutes under local anaesthesia. A 10- to 15-cm incision is made in the lower stomach area to remove the fat apron.
- A dressing will cover the incisions and temporary drains will be placed under the skin to facilitate drainage of fluid and blood. They will be removed 5 to 10 days later during the postoperative visit.
- Patients will have to wear a compression garment for 6 weeks to facilitate healing and reduce postoperative swelling. Also, it will be important to walk in a bent-forward position for 2 weeks.
- You can return to work 2 weeks after the operation (up to 6 weeks for people who do physical work).
- Wait 3 weeks before walking, 4 weeks for sports activities and 6 weeks for contact sports.
Would you also like to redefine another specific area of your body or face? Discover the areas of the body and face that can be treated by liposuction.