Despite a healthy diet and regular physical exercise, fat deposits may persist in certain areas of the body such as the hips. Liposuction is the best solution available for eliminating fat deposits located between the skin and muscles in order to redefine the figure.
Liposuction techniques have seen advances in recent years and the latest ones result in smooth contours, without bumps. The technique used by Dr. Bergeron is the most innovative approach – not only does it result in well-balanced contours, but it takes the aspirated fat and reinjects into other areas of the body (breast or buttocks, for example).
Liposuction can be used to treat many areas: abdomen, buttocks, thighs, inner knees, waist, hips, calves, ankles, breasts and chest, neck, chin and cheeks.
Note that this intervention cannot correct cellulite and cannot replace a weight-loss diet. For optimal results, the skin must be firm. If you have loose skin or stretch marks, you should instead consider an abdominoplasty or an upper arm or thigh lift. During your appointment, Dr. Bergeron will guide you so that you can choose the solution that best fits your needs.
“Note: These photos are published for information purposes only in order to provide information on the nature of the intervention. In no way should they be considered a guarantee of results.”
Liposuction is performed under sedation or general anaesthesia (beware of surgeons who perform it under local anaesthesia; they are probably not certified plastic surgeons and do not have access to techniques that result in smooth contours).
A small incision will be made to allow the insertion of the aspiration cannula, used to remove fat.
The intervention takes from 1 to 4 hours, depending on the level of complexity. Because this surgery requires a high degree of precision and meticulousness to obtain smooth, well-balanced contours, Dr. Bergeron will take all the time needed to perform it. The time required for the surgery does not depend on the amount of fat removed, but rather the degree of detailed work involved.
- Although the pain is not incapacitating, analgesics will be prescribed to control it.
- Note that the skin will be numb for 3 to 4 months at the treatment sites. Although results are immediate, it takes about 4 months to appreciate the full effects, as the skin needs time to tighten on its own.
- Depending on what part of the body is operated on, compression garments will have to be worn for 6 weeks to facilitate healing and reduce postoperative swelling.
- You can return to work 48 hours after the operation (2 weeks for people who do physical work).
- Wait 3 weeks before engaging cardiovascular activities, 4 weeks for sports activities and 6 weeks for contact sports.
fat transfer (also called LIPOSCULPTURE)
The use of fat to give more volume to tissues is not a new procedure but, because techniques have become more sophisticated in recent years, more than 85% of the transferred fat now survives the transfer. Fat transfer can be used to shape several areas of the body, such as the buttocks, breasts, chest and cheekbones.
The surgery, which takes 1 to 4 hours, is performed under general anaesthesia. Fat is harvested using a cannula specifically designed for this intervention. The harvested fat is centrifuged, concentrated and separated from the other fluids. It is then transferred using small syringes.
- Although results are visible right after the surgery, it takes 3 to 4 months to enjoy the full effects.
- You can return to work 48 hours after the procedure (2 weeks for people who do physical work).
- Wait 3 weeks before engaging in cardiovascular activities, 4 weeks for sports activities and 6 weeks for contact sports.