Rhinoplasty changes the structure of the nose to improve its appearance and harmonize it with the shape of the face. For Asians, a silicone implant is used to define the bridge and the tip of the nose. The choice of implant and surgical technique are very important in achieving natural results.
Dr. Léonard Bergeron is a plastic and cosmetic surgeon with a subspeciality in craniofacial surgery. After completing his studies in plastic and cosmetic surgery, he entered a one-year subspeciality program in cranio-maxillofacial surgery at the esteemed Chang Gung Memorial Hospital in Taipei, Taiwan. As a result, his areas of expertise include not only cosmetic and plastic surgery, but also the treatment of nose fractures and nose reconstruction for patients with birth defects or cancer. His expertise in nasal surgery allows him to make use of a broad range of surgical techniques not offered by other specialists. During your consultation, Dr. Bergeron will recommend the treatment that best suits your needs.
The surgery, which takes 45 to 75 minutes, is usually performed under local anaesthesia. The incision is made inside a nostril in order to insert the implant. Sometimes it is necessary to suture the cartilage at the tip of the nose to improve the shape. For more significant changes, it is possible to graft cartilage from the nose or an ear. As this is a longer technique, it must be performed under general anaesthesia.
- A metal splint will be placed on the nose and will remain there for 7 days. Tape will remain on the nose for an additional week.
- To reduce swelling, it will be recommended to keep the head elevated at a 30º angle at all times for 2 weeks (it will be necessary to sleep in a semi-upright position).
- A postoperative appointment will take place 5 to 10 days after the surgery.
- Results will be visible in the second week. However, there could be minor swelling at the tip of the nose for 1 year.
- You can return to work 1 week after the surgery (2 weeks for people working with the public).
- Wait 3 weeks before engaging in cardiovascular activities, 4 weeks for sports activities and 6 weeks for contact sports.